Saturday, November 1, 2008

October Review . . . Thinking about November

I can't believe it's November 1st already. My net worth increased in October, but not by as much as it should have. My net worth is currently at $7,562. That's increase of about $784 over last month. Considering that this was an extra payment month for that's not a very good increase. My 401k took a good sized hit this month. That hurt.

I spent more money than I wanted to in October, but it was mainly due to my certification exam. I registered to take one of the parts, so that cost $190. I also ordered additional study materials for this section. I am hoping to take this part of the exam prior to Christmas, but I have until the end of February is something happens and am not take to take it as planned. Once I schedule a date though, no going back. I am hoping to really increase my studying time starting this weekend.

I was under budget in all categories, so that was great. I hope I can manage that in November as well with Thanksgiving in there. My family is coming to visit me for Thanksgiving, so I increased my food budget for the month to account for this. I have a little bit set aside for shopping that weekend, but not much. I really don't need anything, but I am sure I will find something that I want.

As far as goals go for November, I am hoping to stay under budget in each category as mentioned above. I would also like to limit spending as much as possible to only items I think I really need. I am hoping to make a large extra payment on my car in December. I need to save as much as I can now to make that happen. I also need to study lots in November. This should promote savings.

My mom is coming to town today, so I am meeting her at the mall. I hope to spend no more than $50 this weekend for everything. I have a full tank of gas so that helps! My mom said that she would treat me to lunch out today. We usually split a meal which helps save money. She is looking for some dress pants, so I will be concentrated on helping her find clothes which will limit my looking at things I don't need. I am hoping to finally find a scarf today. It's going to start getting cold again next week.

I will let you know how my spending goes this weekend. Lets hope I keep it under control!

No comments: