Tuesday, April 14, 2009

HELP!!

I need advice from everyone. I received an email today from the hiring manager that I was selected for the position I applied for and HR would be calling soon with the offer. I am currently paid a decent amount less than others with the same position levels in my company and outside of the company. My current department is working to put through my equity increase in the next two months. My current boss informed me of what it would be today since he knows I applied for this position. Based on what I have heard from others who have moved around within the company, I am expecting an offer 2-3% higher than my currently salary. I am looking for something higher than that due to knowing where others are and the equity increase being put through in my current department.

So, my question to everyone is . . . How do I negotiate if I am not happy with the offer? Do I respond with exactly where I want to be? Do I go a bit higher knowing they will come down some? Do I mention the equity adjustment? Any thoughts/opinions would help me greatly. Thanks so much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about negotiating but since you SHOULD be making the salary including the equity adjustment, your new salary should be based off of that, rather than what you are making now in my mind...

asgreen said...

I am horrible at this, but I would say slightly higher then where you want to be and bring up the equity issue. Good luck!